We are fortunate to have two beautiful and historic churches
in the parish
St Nicholas Church Trellech
Old Church Penallt
Services are regularly conducted at both
Old Church Penallt
Accessed down unspoiled country lanes the church stands high above the Wye Valley. Constructed of Old Red Sandstone it dates from the late thirteenth or early fourteenth century, and its dedication is unknown.
The main part of the building is late medieval, although the base of the tower is earlier, and the porch is later, bearing a date of 1539. The church was restored in 1885-7 and again in 1951.
Inside, the 16th C wagon ( barrel shaped) roof has carved bosses with intriguing symbols - strange heads, the Instruments of the Crucifixion, three fish symbolising the Trinity. There is also a splendid early seventeenth-century pulpit.
There is a four-bay Perpendicular arcade. It also contains an elaborate coat of arms of Queen Anne dating from 1707.
Outside, you can see the base of the churchyard cross.
Old Church is Grade 1 listed and the Lych Gates are Grade 2 listed in their own right. Some of the gravestones are even separately Listed.
The church is home to one of the largest colonies of the lesser horseshoe bat. Because of the significance of the colony, the church is included within a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
For location see Find Us page
To see updated details of the work being done to look after the fabric of Old Church please click here ( link not yet active)
St. Nicholas, Trellech
Standing in the middle of the village , St Nicholas' Church can be seen clearly from the surrounding countryside. The present building has been here since Trellech was not a small village but a busy town larger than Cardiff or Swansea. After the town was burnt down (in about 1250), the church was rebuilt in its present form.
There is a medieval preaching cross in the churchyard and the church is entered through a door dating back to 1595.
The church was restored in 1893, when a new east window and two windows in the north wall were replaced. The Church is grade 1 listed.
The high, steeply pointed arches, topped by the clerestory windows under the flat ceiling, emphasize the simplicity of this sacred space. There is an avenue of thirteenth century pillars which lead to the high altar.
The communion rails, unusually, enclose the altar table on three sides. This was the arrangement favoured by the reforming Archbishop Laud, who died in 1645.
Behind the altar, in the glass of the pre-Raphaelite window, you can see the Risen Jesus. It is as if He is the host, welcoming all those who kneel around Him to His party at His altar table. Then as now, and throughout all time, it is this experience of sharing bread with the Risen Jesus and His followers that continues to form the Church.
At the west end of the church, directly below the window, is a Royal Coat of Arms for King Charles II dated 1683. Records are held by the church dating from 1692. Complete lists of vicars, from 1359, and churchwardens, from 1763, can be found in the entrance to the south aisle
The church is dedicated to St Nicholas who was the fourth century bishop of Myra in Turkey. He is the patron saint of children and also of sailors. As the patron saint of children and the giver of presents, Nicholas is the original for Santa Claus.
To see updated details of the work being done to look after the fabric of St Nicholas Church please click here ( link not yet active)